NTS Balmacara Estate
National Trust of Scotland
The NTS is Scotland's leading conservation charity, supported by its membership of almost a quarter of a million. Our aim is to protect and promote Scotland's natural and cultural heritage for present and future generations to enjoy.
The Balmacara Estate, which covers the majority of the western end of the Lochalsh peninsula and includes Plockton, is owned and managed by the NTS.
- NTS News
- New Visitor Centre for Plockton
Click images to enlarge
- The National Trust for Scotland has just completed the development of a new Visitor Centre at the main car park in Plockton.
- The development was undertaken with support from Scottish Natural Heritage and focuses upon the historic and natural environment of Plockton and the wider Balmacara Estate with the emphasis very much on crofting.
- The Trust are collaborating with the Plockton Historical Society, who will also have a new display of historic photos and artefacts within the building. The centre is relatively low key and will be unstaffed most of the time, although Trust staff and members of the Historical Society will be present from time to time throughout the season.
- The Trust also operates two guided walks each week, meeting at the Visitor Centre: a Crofting & Coastline Walk on Wednesdays at 10am; and a Historic Plockton Village Tour on Thursdays at 11am.
- Iain Turnbull, Balmacara property manager, from the National Trust for Scotland said:
- "This is a very exciting new development for the estate which has to date had very little opportunity to tell the story of the village and to interact with the many visitors. The partnership with the Historical Society has been critical to the operational viability of the Centre and we look forward to a long and successful relationship with them."
- Bob Kennedy from the Plockton Historical Society said:
- "The Plockton Historical Society would like to thank the National Trust for Scotland for its impressive effort on behalf of the village of Plockton, in setting up this excellent facility which will stand as a tribute to their efforts for years to come."
- The centre was officially opened on Monday 18 July at 11 am and will be open throughout the visitor season (until end September) on a daily basis from 10.00am to 7.00pm.
- There will be no admission charge but visitors are encouraged to support the work of the Trust by joining or by leaving a donation.
- 22 July 2011
The Recent Balmacara Estate Newsletter
- Issue 33 — November 2012
- Crofting Course for Plockton High School
- Lochalsh Wildlife Watch Club
- Can Renewables Finance Our Future Management?
- 2012 Events
- Balmacara Estate Management Plan Review
- Education Can be Fun
- Volunteers Make the Difference!
- Birds Birds Birds!
- Balmacara Estate Forest Plan
- FCS Launches Lochalsh Woodland Park Consultation
For information, contact:
Iain Turnbull, Balmacara Estate Office, Lochalsh House, Balmacara, Kyle of Lochalsh, Ross-shire, IV40 8DN
Tel: 0844 493 2233
The National Trust for Scotland is one of Scotland's leading conservation charities, which relies on the financial support of its members to fund its important work of caring for the natural and cultural heritage of Scotland for everyone to enjoy.
You can join the National Trust for Scotland for as little as £5.25 per month for a family. To become a member, visit www.nts.org.uk/Join/Benefits.